Monday, February 16, 2009

Where You Find Love

I recently read an article in which a woman described how she kept her husband's corsage from their wedding day in their refrigerator.....for over 20 years. I remember in my Grandma's bedroom, she had a two-layered glass covered bowl that contained two different dried flower corsages. These momentos aren't love, but they represent love. Just looking at these items can bring a smile to your face or bring back special memories.

I believe I am a very sentimental person. I treasure items from my families past. I treasure handwritten letters. I treasure things that connect another human being to another. Maybe this is why I am a packrat. Everything means something. With that being said, here is where I find love in my house.

1. Within the arms of my husband
2. On my dresser, I have a crystal vase of dried flowers. One set is from the flowers my Dad gave to me on my wedding day right before the Daddy/Daughter dance. The other set were flowers from my Grandmother's funeral.
3. On the same dresser, I have a little ceramic dish containing the rose petals from the first rose bouquet Matt ever bought me....our first Valentine's Day. It was like one month after we met in 2002.
4. A handwritten letter I found in my Aunt's house written by my Dad to her right after I walked for the first time.
5. My Grandpa's army trunk. This baby is chalk full of goodies. My grandma's handmade aprons, pillowcases, tableclothes, antique maps of Chicago in the 1940's, and a lot of military mementos from WWII.
6. A handmade blanket that was made by my Grandmother but given to me by my Aunt for our little girl. It is now sitting in a wooden doll cradle that was mine when I was a little girl.

Love is every night and every morning hearing the words I love you, a kiss on the lips, helping with the household chores without thinking twice, and feeling our little girl kick or feeling her hiccups.

Love is a blessing.

Love is just one more thing to be we can thank God for each and every day.

No comments: