Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dreary Day But At Least It's Not -20 Degrees

It is a very dreary day here today. Grey skies and rain. It kind of sounds like Michigan - at least the grey sky part. A total 180 from yesterday, since we had sunny skies and almost 70 degrees. Even with the up and down weather, I am thankful to not be back home in Michigan where the temperature this morning was supposed to be NEGATIVE 20 DEGREES. As of last night, my parents had received six inches of snow.

I miss the snow in December. I miss the first snowfall when the still green trees get dusted in pure white snow that glistens. It's more than just comparing it to diamonds. The first snow fall brings a once blah landscape to life. You recognize things forgotten and see things for the first time. The biting cold weather doesn't even bother me because the whiteness is beautiful. But now that it is almost March, I'm grateful that I don't have to chisel away the ice that has frozen my car doors shut or wait 10 minutes for my car to warm up. I'm grateful that I'm able to walk outside without my eyes instantly tearing up from the bitter cold. There is nothing worse than being chilled to the bone. Even the warmest quilt and cup of hot cocoa can't cure that feeling. You feel like you'll never be warm again.

One of my favorite young adult books is The Watson's Go to Birminham - 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis. If you've never experienced the cold - REAL COLD, then I invite you to read the hilarious first chapter here to see what it is all about.

No comments: