Sunday, March 16, 2008

Hidden Potential

I love to cook and bake. I recently stumbled upon a blog by a 16-year-old girl who is a self-taught baker. She bakes cakes, cookies, and cupcakes. It is amazing to see her dedication and risks. Quite frankly, I am not about to undertake baking a wedding cake for someone or bake hundreds of cupcakes, but it put me in the mood to cook more than my usual. My usual consists of the homemade food needed to get around Matt's gluten allergy. Today, I baked blueberry-banana bread and for dinner I experimented with a recipe I found in Rachel Ray's magazine. It was Chicken with a Gouda Sauce. It was YUMMY! I also am preparing for another experiment. For Easter, I am baking dessert for our Easter dinner with Matt's family. In the Taste of Home magazine, I saw a cake surrounded by Peeps and I immediately thought of Matt's dad who absolutely loves these disgusting things. Anyway, I loved everything else. The recipe originally called for yellow cake, but since I've never made a gluten-free yellow cake (and didn't want to experiment for Easter dinner), I changed the recipe to a dark chocolate cake. The cake is frosted and then chocolate chips are arranged in circles on top. The finishing touch is surrounding it with yellow peeps. It is supposed to resemble a sunflower.
Today, to get out of the house, I went to Michael's to look. I walked out with 2 packs of notecards, meringue powder, red sprinkles, #12 tip, disposable piping bags, and a daisy cookie cutter. I'm planning on experimenting with a buttercream recipe I found on Kelsie's blog. Maybe make cupcakes with it or make daisy sugar cookies and have fun decorating. The potential is there. My desire it there. It is time to get cooking.

No comments: