Friday, March 7, 2008

A Child at Heart

Life is too short to grow up too fast. Kids fascinate me. Their innocence is much appreciated in an age where seventh graders have seen, heard, and experienced more than they ever should at that age. I anticipate the stories from my co-teachers who have young children, as well as, the stories from my cousins. Kids say the darnest things was a wise choice for a television show. It is true. They are trustworthy, but don't forget when you let them down.

Doctor to Conner: Okay, young man, we are going to just have to lean back now.
Conner to Doctor: Why?
Doc: Well, I just need to to examine you. It is nothing to worry about.
Conner: I don't think so. The last doctor told me that, and the next thing I know he yanked out a tooth.

Kids are amusing. On the morning Amy's Kailey learned how to crawl out of the crib, she heard her knocking on the door and yelling, "I'm out. Let me out. Let me out."

My little cousing Peyton is a neat freak just like her Dad. When she saw her baby cousin Hannah eating, she was disgusted to find food all over her face, hands, and on the highchair. Looking at my Aunt Rosie she said, "Grandma, aren't you going to do something? Get her a towel. She's full of food."

I think it is important for all of us to remember our child at heart. When the stresses of the day overwhelm us, we need to step outside of the adult world and look at things from a child's perspective. What can you do tomorrow to renew your child spirit? How about puddle jumping after the rain? Make a pitcher of lemonade. No, you don't need to set up a stand outside selling it for quarters, but why not if you have little kids. Take a break and watch a movie for kids. Go outside and play. Find yourself again. Have fun. Don't let your life pass you by.

No comments: