Monday, March 3, 2008

First Lines

I am a list maker. Post-it notes and scraps of paper can be found anywhere. There are lists on my fridge, in my car, on the table, and on my desk at work. I need lists; without them I would be at a loss. The recent chapter in Pen on Fire talks about first lines. Obviously, the first line is important. It will make or break it for the reader. Quite a daunting task if you ask me, but low and behold her suggestion was to create a list of first lines in part of my notebook. I think I can manage that. After reading the chapter, I remembered a sticky note on my desk at school. I wrote the two words "unfinished life" after reading the sentence, "Without love, life is unfinished." I think I will start with this.

I am currently reading "The Merchant of Death: Book 1 in the Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale. I grabbed the book to see the first line. I'd have to say it is catchy. "I hope you're reading this, Mark." I will now be on the lookout.

No comments: