Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Latest Obsession

Thanks to Sera, I found a new blog that is right up my alley - Mama's Losin' It. Ever since attending the Tidewater Writing Project, I try really hard to just write. I've been pretty good about writing random things because I get the opportunity just about every day in my classroom when I have my students write for 3-5 minutes each day. Lately, I've been slacking off because my life is being consumed with preparing for a newborn. My husband might disagree and say my life is consumed by my time on the computer, but we can agree to disagree.

Anyway, back to my original thought. This new blog has writing prompts and choices at that. I feel renewed just thinking about it and hope that I'm back on the track of writing daily because I truly enjoy it.

Today's Prompt: Describe your latest obsession.

I have to admit I have two obsessions currently - cloth diapers and decorating our little girl's nursery. To be honest, the cloth diapers obsession came from left field. Looking back, I never would have imagined I'd be using cloth diapers, but it just seemed natural since Matt and I try to be as "green" as possible. We recycle what the city allows (which is practically nothing compared to Michigan), recylce electronics, donate instead of throwing away, use a clothesline instead of the dryer when possible, unplug electronics, etc. You get the picture I'm sure. My fascination with cloth diapers came after reading posts on pregnancy.org and a friend from high school. I became intrigued and fell in love with how adorable little ones looked in them. My husband was on board as well. Since I was a newbie, I knew I had a lot of learn. In fact, I'm still learning which is why it is an obsession at the moment. Who knew you couldn't use just any regular old detergent? Bamboo vs. Hemp? Pocket vs. All-In-One? What brand should I use? As overwhelming as it was in the beginning, I have to say with the help of Jen and the April '08 ladies, I feel a sense of calm instead of apprehension towards this new adventure. Now, I just need to finish buying inserts and covers.

My second obsession is in the beginning stages. Currently, the only decorating we have done in her nursery is painting the walls a light purple. No crib, no changing table, no decoration that says, "Hey, this is a baby girl's room!" I also was at a loss for crib bedding. Nothing had the colors I wanted. Matt's mother kept asking what our theme was for the nursery. Matt kept answering, "What theme? We don't need a theme?" However, I had a picture in my mind of a beautiful nursery that looked like a nursery, but wasn't a cookie-cutter replica from Babies 'R Us. Luckily, I found dragonfly bedding with the colors I wanted - light purple, light yellow, and white. It arrived today, so after we get the crib, I can finally get a move on in her room.

2 comments:

Jen Raiche said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the decorating! How exciting for you both!