Thursday, April 30, 2009

Just for Me

I'm making time to write. Oh, how I've missed writing, even if it is mindless rambling. Don't be mistaken....I absolutely love my 3 week old baby girl, but I'm still trying to discover what my life is like with a newborn. I'm still trying to figure out a new normal for us. I've had quite a lot of time this week only because my parents are here this week. So I'm taking this time to write while my mother is holding my baby girl.

This week I'm going to go hog wild and respond to three prompts on Mama Kat's Writing Workshop.

1.) Who really helped you get over something? Write about that person.(writingfix.com)

Ever want to do something so badly, but it just doesn't work out? Well, that was me with breastfeeding our daughter. I knew all the research - health benefits, bonding, etc. However, since the day she was born, obstacles were thrown in my way. I did it all - pumping, feeding every 2-3 hours, herbal supplements, drinking water until it came out of my eyes, SNS, meeting with lactation consultants (many times), Le Leche meeting, etc. You name it - I tried it. I had to supplement with formula from day 2 because she was losing weight and not getting enough milk from me. The first time the nurse gave her a bottle of formula in the hospital I cried the entire time. I must say the crying never ended. Each time I thought about it, I cried.

Through it all, my husband, my rock, kept reassuring me that I was doing great and that our daughter was gaining weight and growing and was healthy. When I cried, he held me. When I said I felt like a failure, he made sure I knew I wasn't before I fell asleep that night. He didn't think I was crazy for wanting to continue to breastfeed in the morning and then give her a bottle immediately following because she was still hungry. I love my husband, and every day he does little things that just remind me how lucky I am.

3.) Share an interesting email exchange you've had with someone lately.

Friend: I have been tasked with writing 1000 Family Feud questions about anything related to love. It's fun, but I'm definitely starting to run short on ideas. I spent part of this morning looking through articles like "What your man won't tell you"in the hope of being inspired. :)

Me: WOW! That is a lot of questions about love. Does it have to be lovey dovey stuff or can it be like "How to know your man is cheating?" haha. How many questions have you already written? Good luck

Friend: It doesn't have to be lovey dovey, and in fact I'd take your "how toknow if your man is cheating" except that I already wrote that one :).I think I've written maybe 500 so far, but I only have 3 weeks to finish the rest.

Isn't it cool that my friend writes the questions for Family Fued? It's one of those jobs that you know someone must do it, but you never really know who or how they even get that job.

5.) Today I will... give my daughter tons of kisses.

3 comments:

Jen Raiche said...

I'm sorry the breastfeeding experience has been so tough on you guys! Breastfeeding seems like it should be easy, because it's natural. Boy that's far from the truth, hey?

I will keep you in my prayers today. God bless you and your family!

Jen Raiche said...

Oh, and good for you for taking a mommy moment. It's so important that we don't let go of our other passions while being a mom, but rather work to incorporate them into family life. =)

Sera said...

Deb, first off - I've got to say GOOD FOR YOU for writing! For doing something you love. For taking a break from being a mommy and doing something you're good at that you did before you had a baby. I wish I'd written WAY more in those first few days, weeks, and months. I think it would have helped me cope more. And girl, I can totally relate on the breastfeeding issue - it's a familiar story to me, and I know the heartache and all those complicated emotions. Hang in there. You're doing a fabulous job. And that is so awesome that your friend writes the questions for family feud! Here's to hoping you get a WONDERFUL night of sleep. Big hugs to ya. :)